Get on solid footing with our helping hands.
Under the Family Self-Sufficiency (FSS) Program, RRHA resident families enter a five-year contract of participation and set personal goals to achieve independence. Support is provided in securing training, education, and in increasing participants’ on-the-job and living capabilities.
The Family Self-Sufficinecy Program was created by Congress to provide economic incentives for families to become employed and move toward independence and/or transition out of public housing.
Who is eligible?
Residents of RRHA public housing or Housing Choice Voucher Program (formerly Section 8) housing who are heads of household.
How it works
The Family Self-Sufficiency Program is a partnership between you and RRHA to assist in your efforts to increase your family’s income, self-reliance, and success.
A significant portion of rent increases that result from employment is set aside into a personal savings account. At the end of the contract period, in order to receive these savings, participants must be employed and all adult members of the household must be welfare-free. Savings can be used for a car, homeownership, or education.
When you decide to join the program, staff will:
- Provide you with a Contract of Participation
- Help you develop your goals for independence
- Link you to services and agencies
- Provide classes that promote your self-sufficiency, such as homeownership and money management
- Meet with you regularly to support your progress toward your goals.
During the contract period, participants must:
- Pay rent on time
- Attend monthly program activities
- Obtain employment
- Have no lease violations; and
- Be free of Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) (head of household and all adults) for one year prior to the end of the contract.
When you successfully complete the program, money in your set-aside account will be yours.
For more information on the Family Self-Sufficiency Program or to enroll, call Lesley Tyson, Family Self-Sufficiency Coordinator, at (804) 780-4866 or e-mail her at Lesley.Tyson@rrha.com