Lease agreement document and penLease agreement document and pen

Housing Choice Vouchers

Waitlist Status

Waitlist TypeOpeningClosing
RRHA Public HousingMonday, June 24, 2024, at 8:30 AMFriday, June 28, 2024, at 5:00 PM
Project Based Voucher Communities (3)Monday, June 24, 2024, at 8:30 AMWednesday, June 26, 2024, at 5:00 PM
Housing Choice Vouchers (a.k.a. Tenant Based Vouchers)Monday, June 24, 2024, at 8:30 AMFriday, June 28, 2024, at 5:00 PM

Assisted Housing Programs

The Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program, formerly known as Section 8, receives federal funding from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to administer a rental voucher program to qualified low-income persons and families.

RRHA’s HCV Program services the City of Richmond. A participating family is generally required to pay approximately 30% of adjusted monthly income toward rent and utilities.

Housing assistance payments are based on the affordability of the individual/family (family income, family size, income deductions, utility responsibility, and the requested contract rent). Additional rent reasonableness tools are available under leasing.

Types of Housing Choice Vouchers

Project Based Voucher (PBV)

Project Based Voucher holders live in specific properties managed by community partners with subsidized rent.

Tenant Based Voucher (TBV)

Tenant Based Voucher holders live in privately owned homes of their choice with subsidized rent.

View all news related to vouchers

Voucher FAQ

What are the income limits?

Income limits are established annually by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).

The Very Low (50%) Income Limits are used to determine if the family is income-eligible for the Housing Choice Voucher Program. RRHA compares the gross annual income of the family to the applicable income limit for the household size. Families whose income exceeds the income limit will be denied admission to the program and offered an informal review.

Household SizeGross Annual Income
1 $31,300
2 $35,800
3 $40,250
4 $44,700
5 $48,300
6 $51,900
7 $55,450
8 $59,050
2020 Very Low (50%) Income limits for Richmond, VA MSA

How do I check my status on the waiting list?

Visit the applicant portal and login with your username and password.

I was selected to be an applicant on the waiting list. How do I change my contact information?

Changes to your contact information must be made online. Visit the applicant portal and login with your username and password.

I wasn’t selected for the waiting list. I still need housing help. What should I do?

Review other information on this website to find out about other housing opportunities that the Richmond Redevelopment Housing Authority has available.

Additionally, you may also visit and for information on affordable housing. If you need immediate housing assistance, please call 804-648-4177 to reach Central Intake.

My application was denied. What can I do?

If you wish to dispute the accuracy of the decision to deny your application you must submit a request in writing for an informal review no later than 15 days from the date of the decision.

If you are a person with a disability and require assistance or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability, language translation services, or communication in an alternate format, please contact the Housing Choice Voucher Program at 804-780-4361.

Can I get temporary housing during the application process?

RRHA does not offer temporary or emergency housing.

What is RRHA’s jurisdiction?

RRHA’s HCV program services the city of Richmond.

Do I need to have good credit?

RRHA does not complete a credit check on residents/applicants applying to any of the PBV properties; however, a credit check may be required by the apartment complex as they sometimes have criteria that differ from RRHA.

Do I need to be in “good standing” with RRHA?

Yes. You must be in good standing and current on your rent with no outstanding balances. If you are currently in a repayment agreement you must continue to pay the agreed-upon amount. If you default on payments, you may risk losing their PBV housing assistance. 

What documentation do I need?

Prior to eligibility completion you will receive a verifications checklist. Each property may require different documentation and you will be made aware of those required documents during your eligibility screening with RRHA. age and older.

Will a criminal background check be conducted on me and other household members?

Yes. RRHA will conduct a criminal background screening on ALL household members 18 years of age and older. The PBV Property Management may conduct a separate criminal background screening as well as credit screenings on household members 18 years of age and older.

What if I owe another landlord prior to moving into an RRHA community?

Depending on the selection criteria of the PBV Property Management balances owed to previous landlords must be satisfied or paid in full.

Do I have to live in an apartment?

Participants are able to seek safe, decent, and affordable housing of their choice, such as a house, townhouse, or apartment.

How much is my housing voucher worth?

For your specific payment standard, look at the payment standard sheet included in your package for an estimated amount. This figure includes the total housing cost of rent and utilities.

Do I have to pay a deposit? How much is my security deposit?

You may be required to pay a security deposit. The landlord can charge any amount not to exceed one month’s rent as per state law.

If my voucher expires, can I get an extension?

Vouchers are issued for 120 calendar days. A voucher extension may be available as a reasonable accommodation.

Can I get a larger bedroom size other than what is on the housing voucher?

You may if the property is less than your payment standard or your portion of the rent will not be more than 40% of your monthly-adjusted income.

Can I add someone to my lease when I move?

No. All additional household members must be approved by RRHA. Residents should reach out to their specialist if there is an expected household composition change (i.e. pregnancy, marriage, custody of a minor child etc.) Additions to the Household are granted due to birth, adoption or court-awarded custody. This request must be submitted to your Assisted Housing Specialist via an interim change form for review prior to occupancy of the unit.

Can I add a family member/person to my family?

Additions to the household are granted due to birth, adoption, court-awarded custody or marriage. This request must be submitted to your Assisted Housing Specialist via an interim change for review prior to occupancy of the unit

Does HCV assist with the utilities?

There is an allowance based on the utilities paid by the tenant.

Will I have to pay utilities, (gas, water, electric)?

Residents may be required to pay utilities in addition to the established rent.

Do I get a utility check?

This depends on the gross rent of the property, the maximum subsidy that the housing authority will pay, and your income.

What if I have an outstanding utility balance (gas, water, electric)?

All balances must be paid prior to final approval by new property management company.

When can I move into the unit?

You can move into the unit the same day or any day after up to 30 days of the passed UPCS-V inspections.

Can I move back into RRHA property?

Residents will have to reapply to return into housing. If the resident exits the PBV program NOT in good standing the resident must wait one full calendar year before reapplying to re-enter into housing.


RRHA programs that public housing residents and Housing Choice Voucher program participants are eligible to participate in.

Family Self-Sufficiency (FSS) Program

You can achieve economic independence! Upon successful completion of the the FSS Program, participants receive an interest-bearing escrow (savings) account.

Resident advisory board graphic

Resident Advisory Board

The Resident Advisory Board provides recommendations to RRHA on policies and planning that will impact residents. RAB members come from RRHA communities and speak on their behalf.


Phone: 804-780-4200 RRHA Call Center


HCV Office:
600 E Broad Street Richmond, VA 23219

Hours of Operation
Monday–Thursday: 8:30 am–5 pm
Friday: 8:30 am–12:30 pm

Request Reasonable Accommodations

Complete the 504 form if you are an individual with a disability and you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any part of the application process.