Public housing provides decent and safe rental housing for eligible low-income individuals and families, seniors, and people with disabilities. Applying for public housing takes some time and requires certain documents.
The Public Housing waitlist for 4- & 5-bedroom units is currently open.
Waiting List Application
What you’ll need to provide:
- Email address
- Current telephone number
- Verified income
- Register with the applicant portal and apply for all community waiting lists that fit your family composition.
- RRHA will review your application to determine if you meet the eligibility guidelines for the waiting list(s), for example your family composition size is appropriate for the community.
- Accepted applicants will be placed on the waiting list, and rejected applicants will be notified in writing via email.
Note: No applicant is entitled to either be on the waiting list or in a specific position on the waiting list.
Visit the applicant portal and log in or register your email address for a new account.
Public Housing Communities
RRHA manages nearly 4,000 units in various family developments.
Upon selection from the waiting list, you will receive an email with instructions for completing the online eligibility process.
RRHA determines eligibility based on three factors:
- Annual income
- Whether you qualify as a senior, a person with a disability, or as a individual/family
- U.S. citizenship/immigration status
You must complete the eligibility packet and provide the required documents by the provided deadline.
Once all documents and forms have been received, the Tenant Selection Office will conduct background verifications. When the Office has confirmed your eligibility, you’ll receive an email on the next steps with the new resident orientation.
New Resident Orientation
Congratulations! You have been determined eligible for housing with Richmond Redevelopment and Housing Authority’s Public Housing Program.
Please review the orientation presentation in its entirety, then complete the acknowledgment form and send it to your assigned Eligibility Specialist. Once the form has been received you will be considered ready for housing.
Public Housing Program FAQs
Resident Services is all about YOU
Look to Resident Services for programs and services that support your achievement, financial independence, and personal growth.View Services