“Portability” in the HCV program refers to the process through which the family can transfer or “port” their rental subsidy to a location outside the jurisdiction of RRHA.

When can I move?

HCVP participants are eligible to move within RRHA’s jurisdiction or port (transfer) their voucher after 12 months (1 year) of holding their lease.

New families may not port immediately; they may have to live in the jurisdiction of RRHA, the initial PHA, for a year before they can port. 

PHA – “Public Housing Authority”

Initial PHAs – The PHA that first gave the voucher to the individual when they were selected for the program.

Receiving PHAs – The agency that will administer assistance in the area where the individual intends to moves.


If you desire to port your voucher from RRHA to another jurisdiction, please complete the Portability Request Form and Landlord Certification of Notice to Move.

Submit the completed forms to your Assisted Housing Specialist. (View employee directory)

For questions regarding your portability status, email your Assisted Housing Specialist. Please allow 2 business days for a response.


If you are interested in porting your voucher into RRHA’s jurisdiction you must first contact your initial PHA (the administrator of your Housing Choice Voucher) and inform them you would like to have your voucher ported to Richmond Redevelopment and Housing Authority. Please inform your Housing Authority that RRHA is currently billing.

Port-in Documentation

Submit all documents via one of the following methods:

Port-in Session

Once received the Portability Specialist will schedule a port-in session.

Please note: Your initial PHA must send all your port paperwork to RRHA before a port-in session will be scheduled. Please follow up with your initial PHA to make sure that this is done before you attempt to attend a session. All household members 18 years of age or older must attend the scheduled port session.

Questions? Call (804) 780-4361 or email HCVPportability@rrha.com