RICHMOND, VA—Richmond Redevelopment and Housing Authority’s 4th Annual “Open House in the Village” Scholarship Event celebrates the largest contingent in the history of the program! Fifteen students from communities managed by the RRHA will be attending college. Four of these of students are Virginia Association of Housing and Community Development Officials (VAHCDO) scholarship winners and 14 have been accepted to four-year colleges and universities to further their education.
“This program is one of RRHA’s flagship initiatives that celebrates our 2023 collegebound students. These young people are a story of hope and perseverance. We are proud to be a part of the ‘village’ that nurtures and celebrates the spirit, creativity and hard work of those who have overcome great obstacles to achieve and thrive in a challenging environment.”Steven Nesmith, CEO
“This is the best part of my job, seeing young people realize their dream to attend college after overcoming the odds.”Wanda Daniel, RRHA Resident Services Program Manager
RRHA’s “Village” includes those who partner with and serve the Agency’s youth by nurturing, correcting, cultivating and mentoring the students in public housing communities. Generous donors such as Dominion Energy, McGuire Woods and 7th District City Council Representative the Honorable Cynthia Newbille donated to provide the items and materials needed to jumpstart these students’ college careers. Items include furnishings and essentials for dorm rooms, toiletries, school equipment and much more.
These items and gift cards will be distributed at a private event for the students, their families and contributing sponsors. The event will take place on Thursday, July 27, 2023, at the Virginia Union University Living and Learning Center, located at 1500 N Lombardy Street in Richmond, VA.
The following are the RRHA college-bound students and the colleges they are attending:
- Jaheim Arrington (Gilpin Court) – Virginia Union University
- DeShawn Baker (Gilpin Court) – Virginia Union University
- Jarla Crenshaw (HCVP Community) – Virginia State University
- Kemari Eberhardt (Whitcomb Court) – Virginia State University
- Cheyenne Davis (Mosby Court) – Mary Baldwin University
- *Talar Fenner (Hillside Court) – Hampton University
- Karma Hardy (Whitcomb Court) – Norfolk State University
- *Lamika Harris (Fairfield Court) – Old Dominion University
- Kharizma Owens (Whitcomb Court) – Old Dominion University
- Dai’Jah Richardson (Fairfield Court) – Mary Baldwin University
- Alexus Smith (Gilpin Court) – Undecided
- Serenity Sottile (Mosby Court) – J. Sargent Reynolds
- *Jasmine Tillery (Mosby Court) – Hampton University
- *Tashaun Williams (Hillside Court) – Virginia State University
- Amari Wilson (Hillside Court) – Virginia State University
*VAHCDO Scholarship Recipients
Those interested in learning more and contributing a tax-deductible donation toward RRHA’s scholarship program for these students can contribute online at rrha.com/scholarships.