HCV Participants

As a participant in the Tenant Protection Voucher (TBV) Program, you have an opportunity to select and rent decent and affordable homes in the private market.

Access the online resident portal

Log into your account to pay your rent online, check the status of your payments and review your payment history.

Moving with your voucher

Process for moving within the Richmond metropolitan area:

Process for transferring with your voucher to another jurisdiction:

For more information, contact:

Call Center:


Now recruiting interested Housing Choice Voucher Participants to join the Resident Advisory Board. You can submit your interest form now until Friday, March 29, 2024.

Download the Form

Download the fillable PDF to your phone or computer to complete all of the fields and save the document. Please customize the file name with your first and last name.

RAB Interest Form

reCAPTCHA is required.

Moving Process

To move within RRHA’s jurisdiction, participants must first:
  • Have lived in their current unit for at least a year and be eligible to move under their current lease agreement
  • Have a current and completed annual recertification
  • Meet Family Obligations

Step 1 – Participant obtains landlord approval to move

The landlord must complete the Landlord Certification to Move form.

Once completed, this form must be submitted to the Assisted Housing Specialist (view employee directory).

Step 2 – RRHA issues voucher

The participant must review the HCV briefing video. At the conclusion of the presentation, the family must sign the Acknowledgement Letter and email it to HCVPleasing@rrha.com.

RRHA will mail the Leasing (RFTA) Packet to the family’s last known address, which includes:

  • Contract Document Checklist
  • Requirements for Participating HCV Landlords
  • Request for Tenancy Approval
  • Disclosure of Information on Lead-based Paint and/or Lead-based Paint Hazards
  • Disclosure of Information on Interior Air Quality and Mold
  • Smoke Detector Requirements
  • Relative Rule Form
  • Landlord/Owner Tax Information
  • W-9
  • Mandatory Authorization of ACH/Direct Deposit Terms and Conditions
  • Mandatory Authorization of ACH/Direct Deposit
  • Side Payments
  • Tenancy Addendum
  • Map Of Jurisdiction
  • Rent Affordability Calculation
  • Payment Standards
  • Utility Allowance Sheets for each dwelling type

The family has 120 days from the voucher issuance date located on the voucher to search for and secure a unit.

Step 3 – Participant locates housing on the private market

The family can utilize the paperwork within the RFTA and under the leasing department to select a unit that meets all requirements.

Additional Resources:

Step 4 – Participant selects a unit

Once you select a unit, the RFTA and all applicable documents must be completed by the landlord, and submitted to HCVP in one of the following methods:

  • Email – HCVPleasing@rrha.com
  • Mail – 918 Chamberlayne Parkway Richmond, VA 23220
  • Drop-box at the administrative offices located at 918 Chamberlayne Parkway Richmond, VA 23220

Upon receipt of the RFTA, staff will complete an ownership verification and send an email confirmation once the RFTA has been received.

Step 5 – RRHA assesses affordability

RRHA will assess your selected unit to determine its affordability

The Rent Reasonableness Analysis ensures that the rent to the owner is reasonable in the current market, based on rents for like unassisted units in the immediate vicinity.

The analysis is based on nine (9) HUD factors which include the location, utilities, quality, size, unit type, age, amenities, housing services, and maintenance.

If the requested rent is not affordable, and owner is not willing to decrease to an affordable rent amount, participant will require a new RFTA to search for another unit.

Step 6 – RRHA inspects unit

If the rent amount is affordable, the unit will be scheduled for an inspection per HUD’s Uniform Physical Condition Standards – Voucher (UPCS-V).

An RRHA Inspector will contact the property owner to inspect the proposed unit to ensure the unit is safe, decent, and sanitary.

If the unit fails the initial inspection, the Inspector will schedule a re-inspection of the unit.

Step 7 – Participant leases unit

If the unit passes inspection, the participant will reach out to the landlord to execute a lease and establish a move-in date.

The family and/or landlord must forward a copy of the executed lease to hcvpleasing@rrha.com to generate a Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) Contract.

Step 8 – RRHA executes HAP contract

RRHA will enter into a Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) Contract with the owner who leased the unit to the family.

RRHA will email the HAP Contract to the owner for signature.

Once the signed HAP contract has been received HCVP will execute and attach a signed copy to the Landlord Portal.

Step 9 – RRHA makes payments & participant pays rent

Thereafter, RRHA will begin making agreed-upon payments directly to the property owner on behalf of the family. The Housing Assistance Payments are released at the beginning of the following month.

The family then pays the difference between the actual rent charged by the landlord and the amount subsidized by the program.

It is illegal for a landlord to ask the participant for “side payments”.

HCV Participant FAQs

What is RRHA’s jurisdiction?

RRHA’s HCVP program services the city of Richmond.

Do I need to have good credit?

RRHA does not complete a credit check on residents/applicants applying to any of the PBV properties; however, a credit check may be required by the apartment complex as they sometimes have criteria that differ from RRHA.

Do I need to be in “good standing” with RRHA?

Yes. You must be in good standing and current on your rent with no outstanding balances. If you are currently in a repayment agreement you must continue to pay the agreed-upon amount. If you default on payments, you may risk losing their PBV housing assistance. 

What documentation do I need?

Prior to eligibility completion you will receive a verifications checklist. Each property may require different documentation and you will be made aware of those required documents during your eligibility screening with RRHA. age and older.

Will a criminal background check be conducted on me and other household members?

Yes. RRHA will conduct a criminal background screening on ALL household members 18 years of age and older. The PBV Property Management may conduct a separate criminal background screening as well as credit screenings on household members 18 years of age and older.

What if I owe another landlord prior to moving into an RRHA community?

Depending on the selection criteria of the PBV Property Management balances owed to previous landlords must be satisfied or paid in full.

Do I have to live in an apartment?

Participants are able to seek safe, decent, and affordable housing of their choice, such as a house, townhouse, or apartment.

How much is my housing voucher worth?

For your specific payment standard, look at the payment standard sheet included in your package for an estimated amount. This figure includes the total housing cost of rent and utilities.

Do I have to pay a deposit? How much is my security deposit?

You may be required to pay a security deposit. The landlord can charge any amount not to exceed one month’s rent as per state law.

If my voucher expires, can I get an extension?

Vouchers are issued for 120 calendar days. A voucher extension may be available as a reasonable accommodation.

Can I get a larger bedroom size other than what is on the housing voucher?

You may if the property is less than your payment standard or your portion of the rent will not be more than 40% of your monthly-adjusted income.

Can I add someone to my lease when I move?

No. All additional household members must be approved by RRHA. Residents should reach out to their specialist if there is an expected household composition change (i.e. pregnancy, marriage, custody of a minor child etc.) Additions to the Household are granted due to birth, adoption or court-awarded custody. This request must be submitted to your Assisted Housing Specialist via an interim change form for review prior to occupancy of the unit.

Can I add a family member/person to my family?

Additions to the household are granted due to birth, adoption, court-awarded custody or marriage. This request must be submitted to your Assisted Housing Specialist via an interim change for review prior to occupancy of the unit

Does HCV assist with the utilities?

There is an allowance based on the utilities paid by the tenant.

Will I have to pay utilities, (gas, water, electric)?

Residents may be required to pay utilities in addition to the established rent.

Do I get a utility check?

This depends on the gross rent of the property, the maximum subsidy that the housing authority will pay, and your income.

What if I have an outstanding utility balance (gas, water, electric)?

All balances must be paid prior to final approval by new property management company.

When can I move into the unit?

You can move into the unit the same day or any day after up to 30 days of the passed UPCS-V inspections.

Can I move back into RRHA property?

Residents will have to reapply to return into housing. If the resident exits the PBV program NOT in good standing the resident must wait one full calendar year before reapplying to re-enter into housing.

Mother with two sons on a playground slide

Family Self-Sufficiency Program

FSS helps eligible applicants to develop assets and achieve economic independence. Upon successful completion of the program, participants receive an interest-bearing escrow (savings) account.

Available to both public housing residents and HCVP participants.